Sunday, January 17, 2016

A few reasons I love being a mom of all boys

1.   I love their fiery spirits.

I love how they’re ready to right all wrongs and jump into danger. How they grab their swords and fight to the death. (Okay, not literally, but you know what I mean?)

2.   I love their tender hearts.

Just when you think he’s the toughest, roughest, sort of kid, he surprises you with the softest word or kindest touch. Melts my heart. Every time.


3.   I love how they smell like dirt.

You didn’t think I’d say that did you. Or at least that I’d mean it. But I did. And I do. I love that musty smell they have—a bit like the dog’s toy that got left outside for a couple of days. Like bugs and grass. Earthy. And sometimes just downright muddy. 



4.   I love their mischievous impulses.

Like when they hide under the blankets of my bed and wait patiently for me to come in…and hear me scream for the one millionth time(pretending I didn’t see those wiggly, giggling bumps under the cover?) 


5.   I love how they wrestle, tussle, and attack.

Keeps me young. And limber and strong. I probably would have never wrestled a day in my life …if I didn’t have to fight off a bunch of animals who can often appear suddenly out of nowhere.


6.   I love their protective instinct.

In spite of all that, even at such young ages they can be quite chivalrous. They can’t bear to see me dragging a heavy load out to the trash. Or to get hurt. Or cry. I try to tell them that “I’m ok" but they don’t seem to quite believe me. They want to save me from all harm. And that’s okay with me.


7.   I love how they can make me laugh.

And, oh, how they can get me going! And once they get started? There’s no stopping them. Sometimes laughing until tears stream down my cheeks. Especially that middle  one. The ham. 


8.   I love their constant motion.

Oh my goodness. Never walking. Always running. And do your boys ever sit still?? Because mine certainly don’t. They wriggle and squirm and twitch until I…send them outside. GO PLAY! Whew. 

9.   I love how loud they are.

I never thought I’d say this. But here I am. I’ve actually grown fond of the way they slam the doors, shout to each other in the same room, and sing full volume while in the car. I mean, who needs a quiet house? (Okay, I do. And that’s when I send them back outside!)



10.   I love how hard they work.

It makes me smile to see them to their very best to keep up with their daddy. Whether feeding the dog, pulling weeds, or mowing the lawn—they’ll give it all they’ve got. (Not that they don’t need a little push now and then….)


11.   I love all the funny noises they make.

The grunts. The burps. The motor noises. And, well, those other somewhat indescribable and rather embarrassing noises too…..


12.   I love their sweet snuggles.

Does it get much better than that?!? Dusty, sticky, and stained—I’ll take cuddles from the boys any way I can!

13.   I love how they argue over who gets to make my coffee in the morning.

Somehow I have convinced them that this is one of the highest honors a man can have. I know. I’m sure I don’t deserve it, but I drink it up all the same. One spoiled mom. 


 14.   I love how they look up to their dad.

Yes, they know he’s not perfect, but he’s their dad. And he’s their hero. And the boys love and respect him.

They also know that they are deeply loved by him.


15.  I love how I can see more and more clearly the calling God has on their lives.

I can see how they would need that high level of energy and that kind of drive to do the things that they were made to do.



In some ways so much has changed. 

But my favorite is still that they are my sons, but far more that they are my friends. 


So you can probably see why I love being a mom of boys.

It’s the best.

The very best.


No comments:

Post a Comment